Alkaline/Surfactant/Polymer Pilot Performance of the West Central Saertu, Daqing Oil Field
- Gao Shutang (Institute of Petroleum E&D, Daqing Oil Field) | Li Huabin (Institute of Petroleum E&D, Daqing Oil Field) | Yang Zhenyu (Institute of Petroleum E&D, Daqing Oil Field) | M.J. Pitts (Surtek, Inc.) | Harry Surkalo (Surtek, Inc.) | Kon Wyatt (Surtek, Inc.)
- Document ID
- Society of Petroleum Engineers
- SPE Reservoir Engineering
- Publication Date
- August 1996
- Document Type
- Journal Paper
- 181 - 188
- 1996. Society of Petroleum Engineers
- 5.3.2 Multiphase Flow, 3.1 Artificial Lift Systems, 5.2 Reservoir Fluid Dynamics, 1.6 Drilling Operations, 5.5.8 History Matching, 5.6.5 Tracers, 5.8.5 Oil Sand, Oil Shale, Bitumen, 5.4.1 Waterflooding, 4.1.5 Processing Equipment, 4.1.2 Separation and Treating, 5.2.1 Phase Behavior and PVT Measurements, 1.10.1 Drill string components and drilling tools (tubulars, jars, subs, stabilisers, reamers, etc), 2.5.2 Fracturing Materials (Fluids, Proppant), 4.3.4 Scale, 2.4.3 Sand/Solids Control, 5.3.4 Reduction of Residual Oil Saturation, 6.5.2 Water use, produced water discharge and disposal, 5.4.7 Chemical Flooding Methods (e.g., Polymer, Solvent, Nitrogen, Immiscible CO2, Surfactant, Vapex), 4.2.3 Materials and Corrosion
- 1 in the last 30 days
- 793 since 2007
- Show more detail
- View rights & permissions
|SPE Member Price:||USD 12.00|
|SPE Non-Member Price:||USD 35.00|
A tertiary pilot application of the Alkaline-Surfactant-Polymer (ASP) process was initiated in September, 1994 in West Center Area of Daqing Oil Field. The pilot pattern consists of 4 inverted five-spot, including 4 injectors and 9 producers, as well as 2 observation wells encompassing an area of 90,000 m2 and with a pore volume of 203,300 m3. The target layer is Saertu II1-3 sandstone with average porosity of 26% and permeability of 1.426 m2. The crude oil viscosity is 11.5 mPa.S at reservoir temperature and the connate water salinity is 6,800 mg/L. The current pilot performance shows a pronounced response from Alkaline-Surfactant-Polymer injection. The average pilot area oil production rate increased from 36.7 m3/d to 91.5 m3/d, while water cut decreased from 82.7% to 59.7%. For the central well Po5, which is surrounded by injection wells, the oil production rate increased from 3.7 m3/d to 27.1 m3/d while water cut decreased from 87.9% to 45.8%. The numerical simulation results forecast that the oil recovery will be increased by 18.1% OOIP.
The Daqing oil field is the largest field in the Peoples Republic of China. The pilot site is located on the west limb of the Saertu anticline. The reservoir slopes gently from east to west with an average depth of 814 m. The target layer in the pilot area, the Saertu II1-3 sandstone formation was deposited in a flood plain distributary environment. The sandbody is mainly composed of highly meandering distributary sandstone. The sandstone reservoir distribution is wide and thick, with high permeability and high inter-formational heterogeneity. The connate water salinity is relatively low, and fresh water is available. The reservoir characteristics, fluid properties, waterflood performance, and the performance of polymer flood pilot tests, indicated that the Daqing field was an ideal candidate for the Alkaline-Surfactant-Polymer process. Other papers have reported on ASP performance of field projects in the United States, but this paper reports on ASP effect at an advanced stage of waterflooding in the Daqing ASP pilot.
The Daqing field was discovered in 1959. Generalized water injection began in June of 1960 and separate layer injection began in January of 1965. The field was developed in a line drive pattern with rows of injectors 2,400 meters apart and spacing between wells within a row of 500 meters. Between rows of injectors are 3 rows of producing wells evenly spaced at 600 meters between rows. The oil production has been maintained at more than 160,000 m3/d since 1979 by this infill drilling and development resulting in more than 10,000 wells. Artificial lift development began in January of 1981 continuing until December of 1989.
Beginning in 1984 the reservoir characteristics were screened for the application of enhanced oil recovery techniques. Two polymer flood pilots were performed beginning in 1987 with watercuts decreasing an average of 16% and oil rates increasing three-fold. These results indicated that mobility control polymer flooding could significantly improve oil recovery. As a result of these pilots, on-site polymer manufacturing facilities were built capable of producing 50,000 tons of polyacrylamide polymer per year. This facility began initial production in September of 1995. The Alkaline-Surfactant-Polymer process was identified as a means to further increase recovery and utilize the polymer made on site.
The pilot area was originally developed beginning in December of 1987 for one of the polymer flood pilots. However, the polymer flood produced from intervals about 100 m deeper than the Alkaline-Surfactant-Polymer pilot. Fig. 1 shows the pilot area located between the well Zhong 5-8 and - Zhong 5-10 in the west central area of Daqing Field.
|File Size||447 KB||Number of Pages||8|