Bespoke Casing Design to Reduce ECD and Enable MPD for HPHT Culzean Project in the North Sea
- D. A. Seymour (Total) | J. Oyovwevotu (Total) | D. Vavasseur (Total) | S. O. E. Albores (Tenaris) | V. Casares (Tenaris) | E. G. Garcia (Tenaris) | L. A. Innamorati (Tenaris) | G. A. Izquierdo (Tenaris) | C. M. Langrill (Tenaris) | R. O. Mazzina (Tenaris) | A. C. Mitchell (Tenaris) | N. Santi (Tenaris)
- Document ID
- Society of Petroleum Engineers
- SPE/IADC Managed Pressure Drilling and Underbalanced Operations Conference and Exhibition, 29-30 October, Denver, Colorado, USA
- Publication Date
- Document Type
- Conference Paper
- 2020. SPE/IADC Managed Pressure Drilling and Underbalanced Operations Conference and Exhibition
- 1.14.1 Casing Design, 1.7 Pressure Management, 1.14 Casing and Cementing, 1.6 Drilling Operations, 1.7.2 Managed Pressure Drilling, 2 Well completion, 2.10 Well Integrity, 0.2 Wellbore Design
- Casing Development, HPHT, Managed Pressure Drilling MPD, Well Design, Casing Wear
- 17 in the last 30 days
- 30 since 2007
- Show more detail
- View rights & permissions
|SPE Member Price:||USD 5.00|
|SPE Non-Member Price:||USD 28.00|
The Culzean field combines both UHPHT reservoir conditions and an unusually narrow drilling window, at the top of the main reservoir, where reservoir pressure lies on a regional ‘broken seal’ rock strength line. This drove a need to find an improved well architecture, to allow production wells to be drilled close enough to the reservoir crest to maximize gas production volumes.
The solution: to develop heavy, ultra-high strength, sour service tubulars and use these in a well layout more typical of Deep Water designs than North Sea HPHT wells. Instead of setting a full production casing string, before drilling the target reservoir, a short production casing liner is hung from the fully rated sour service intermediate string, and tied back after the reservoir section has been drilled and a production liner run. This greatly reduces drilling circulating pressure losses in the reservoir section, allowing crestal targets, whilst providing very robust intermediate and production casing strings for long term well integrity. The reduction in ECD combined with the use of MPD technology, enables the drilling of this complex reservoir, in a safe and efficient manner.
|File Size||9 MB||Number of Pages||23|
F. Ainchinger, Dao, N. H, Brillaud, L., Nobbs, B., Delapieer, A, Pinault, C, Rossi, X. 2016. "Systematic Field Validation of New Casing Wear Quantification Process" Paper SPE 183386, presented at the Abu Dhabi International Petroleum Exhibition and Conference, Abu Dhabi, UAE, 7 - 10 November.