A Game Changing MWD Tool for Next Generation CTDD
- Adame Kante (Schlumberger) | Syed Muhammad Fahim Ud Din (Schlumberger) | Eduardo Saenz (Schlumberger) | Kiran Shetty (Schlumberger)
- Document ID
- Society of Petroleum Engineers
- SPE/ICoTA Well Intervention Conference and Exhibition, 24-25 March, The Woodlands, Texas, USA
- Publication Date
- Document Type
- Conference Paper
- 2020. Society of Petroleum Engineers
- 1.6.1 Drill String Components and Drilling Tools (tubulars, jars, subs, stabilisers, reamers, etc), 1.12 Drilling Measurement, Data Acquisition and Automation, 1.10 Drilling Equipment, 1.6.6 Directional Drilling, 1.6 Drilling Operations, 1.12.1 Measurement While Drilling
- under balanced drilling, MWD, Re-entry, Coiled Tubing, slim hole
- 12 in the last 30 days
- 59 since 2007
- Show more detail
- View rights & permissions
|SPE Member Price:||USD 5.00|
|SPE Non-Member Price:||USD 28.00|
The objective of the project was to expand the operating envelope of the Measurement while Drilling (MWD) tool in the coiled tubing directional drilling Bottom Hole Assembly (BHA) to improve its reliability in harsh environments, maintainability, temperature range and measurements for overall longer runs and better service delivery.
A new concurrent development approach was used for managing the product's lifecycle from defining the customer's need, selecting the best technical solution, developing and thoroughly testing the product to confirm it meets its requirements and to finally manufacture it efficiently before its release to the field. Several rigorous technical and management reviews were held to enable focused decisions toward the efficient delivery of a reliable, manufacturable and maintainable product with minimal total cost of ownership. The tool includes a robust gamma ray sensor, Direction & Inclination (D&I) package to enable real time geo steering decision-making, pressure and temperature sensors to monitor the inner and well conditions and a load cell to measure both the axial and torsional loads. A set of electronic boards used for communication, power and acquisition, have been fully qualified to operate in the harshest drilling conditions. In addition, several surface software components were developed for real time data display and reporting.
The reliability for the MWD tool was increased 4 folds based on the results from a time period of 12 months of intensive drilling up to 167C. We managed to set field records for both the longest single runs for footage and time improving average downhole utilization by 60%.
|File Size||658 KB||Number of Pages||10|
Al-Humood, M. M., Al-Khamees, S. A., Mehmood, K., & Cain, P. (2017, March 6). Optimization of Underbalanced Coiled Tubing Drilling in Hard Sandstones. Society of Petroleum Engineers. doi: 10.2118/183850-MS
Macpherson, J., Roders, I., Schoenborn, K., Mieting, R., & Lopez, F. (2019, March 4). Smart Wired Pipe: Drilling Field Trials. Society of Petroleum Engineers. doi: 10.2118/194095-MS
Kozlov, A., Frantzen, S., Gorges, T., Al Khamees, S., Guzman, J. C., Aduba, A. A., & da Silva, T. P. (2010, January 1). Next Generation Technologies for Underbalanced Coil Tubing Drilling. Society of Petroleum Engineers. doi: 10.2118/132084-MS