Offshore Plug and Abandonment Operations with Coiled Tubing Service from Light Workover Vessel: A Case Study from Brazil Deepwater
- Eduardo Delgado (Halliburton) | Paulo Vinicius Dias Rodrigues (Halliburton) | Mauro Nunes (Halliburton) | Adriano Cler Frotte (Halliburton)
- Document ID
- Society of Petroleum Engineers
- SPE/ICoTA Well Intervention Conference and Exhibition, 24-25 March, The Woodlands, Texas, USA
- Publication Date
- Document Type
- Conference Paper
- 2020. Society of Petroleum Engineers
- 1.7.5 Well Control, 3.5 Well Decommissioning and Site Remediation, 3 Production and Well Operations, 1.6 Drilling Operations, 3 Production and Well Operations, 7.2.1 Risk, Uncertainty and Risk Assessment, 7 Management and Information, 7.2 Risk Management and Decision-Making, 2.2 Installation and Completion Operations, 2.1.3 Completion Equipment, 3 Production and Well Operations, 3.6.2 Plugging Materials, 1.6.12 Plugging and Abandonment, 2.2 Installation and Completion Operations
- Offshore, Coiled Tubing, Light Workover, Plug and Abandonment, Isolation
- 12 in the last 30 days
- 66 since 2007
- Show more detail
- View rights & permissions
|SPE Member Price:||USD 5.00|
|SPE Non-Member Price:||USD 28.00|
The demand for well plug and abandonment (P&A) operations in Brazil has increased significantly during the last 3 years, resulting in a steep learning curve that can lead to development of state-of-the-art methodologies that save time, reduce operational risks, and provide reliable cost-effective solutions.
This paper presents a comprehensive analysis of recent well abandonment operations in a mature field in Brazil, which included wells that were depleted or no longer economically viable. A methodology is discussed and highlights the use of a casing collar locator (CCL) to perform depth correlation before setting packers and placing cement plugs, real-time pressure signals to monitor packer setting, and coiled tubing (CT) internal and external pressure management to help ensure that all cement is pumped out of the CT.
|File Size||908 KB||Number of Pages||12|
Guimaraes, C., Delgado, E., Galvao, L., . 2019. Successful Offshore Coiled-Tubing Permanent Well-Abandonment Operation Uses Downhole Real-Time Parameters to Set Inflatable Packers with Surgical Precision in Cost-Effective Manner. Paper presented at the Offshore Technology Conference Brasil, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, 29–31 October. OTC-29839-MS. https://doi.org/10.4043/29839-MS.
Rodrigues, V., Delgado, E., and Frotte, A. 2019. Deepwater Pipeline Pre-Commissioning Operation Using Large Diameter Coiled Tubing Instead of Standard Downline: State of the Art of This Technology. Paper presented at the SPE/ICoTA Well Intervention Conference and Exhibition, The Woodlands, Texas, USA, 26–27 March. SPE-194280-MS. https://doi.org/10.2118/194280-MS.
Vera, V., Torres, C., Delgado, E.. 2019a. Industry-First Hybrid Technology for Coiled Tubing Services Combining Fiber-Optic and Electric Line, Enabling Downhole Power and Real-Time Communication for the Next-Generation Decision-Making Process with Wider Downhole Insight. Paper presented at the Abu Dhabi International Petroleum Exhibition & Conference, Abu Dhabi, UAE, 11–14 November. SPE-197177-MS. https://doi.org/10.2118/197177-MS.
Vera, V., Torres, C., Delgado, E.. 2019b. Successful Coiled Tubing Fishing Operation Uses Hybrid Cable Connected Tools to Evaluate/Validate Downhole Data in Real Time: A Case Study in the Eastern Foothills of Colombia. Paper presented at the SPE/ICoTA Well Intervention Conference and Exhibition, The Woodlands, Texas, USA, 26–27 March. SPE-194260-MS. https://doi.org/10.2118/194260-MS.