Large Modifiable Underwater Mothership: A Case Study for Ocean Bottom Nodes Deployment and Recovery
- Sebastian Ritz (Technical University of Berlin) | Matthias Golz (Technical University of Berlin) | Florin Boeck (Technical University of Berlin) | Gerd Holbach (Technical University of Berlin) | Erik Rentzow (University of Rostock) | Martin Kurowski (University of Rostock) | Torsten Jeinsch (University of Rostock) | Willem Hendrik Wehner (thyssenkrupp Marine Systems) | Nicolas Richter (thyssenkrupp Marine Systems) | Thomas Voß (thyssenkrupp Marine Systems)
- Document ID
- Society of Petroleum Engineers
- SPE Offshore Europe Conference and Exhibition, 3-6 September, Aberdeen, UK
- Publication Date
- Document Type
- Conference Paper
- 2019. Society of Petroleum Engineers
- Unmanned Underwater Vehicle, Ocean Bottom Seismic, Autonomous Operation, Modular Kit, Case Study
- 3 in the last 30 days
- 90 since 2007
- Show more detail
- View rights & permissions
|SPE Member Price:||USD 5.00|
|SPE Non-Member Price:||USD 28.00|
The joint research project "MUM - Large Modifiable Underwater Mothership" targets the development of a highly modular, unmanned underwater vehicle, which allows a mission dependent module assembly to fulfill a wide spectrum of underwater tasks. The paper presents a case study for the deployment and recovery of ocean bottom nodes (OBN) for seismic surveys. Therefore, a specific vehicle configuration and its functionality is introduced. The advantages of MUM are presented in terms of its cost efficiency and non-monetary benefits, as crew safety, carbon footprint and others. In addition, business aspects for potential customers are discussed.
|File Size||1 MB||Number of Pages||13|
H. Wehner, N. Richter, M. Schiemann, P.-M. Haselberger, S. Ritz, M. Golz and F. Boeck, "Mastering High Product Variety Of An Underwater Vehicle Class In The Concept Design Stage," in Proceedings of the ASME 2018 37th International Conference on Ocean, Offshore and Arctic Engineering, Madrid, Spain, 2018.
"Magseis Fairfield's ZXPLR™ - see how it works,"; 2018. [Online]. Available: https://youtu.be/3yFk1hJWGY8 [Accessed 28 May 2019].
Xeneta AS, "Xeneta Discover,"; [Online]. Available: https://app.xeneta.com/discover. [Accessed 20 March 2019].
U.S. Department of Energy, "Hydrogen Production: Natural Gas Reforming,"; [Online]. Available: https://www.energy.govieere/fuelcells/hydrogen-production-natural-gas-reforming. [Accessed 28 May 2019].
Bourbon Offshore, "BOURBON JADE - MPSV - DP2 Maintenance Supply Vessel for deepwater operations 3,600 t deadweight,"; [Online]. Available:https://www.bourbonoffshore.com/sites/default/files/mpsv-_bourbon_jade.pdf. [Accessed 17 May 2019].
Committee on Climate Change,"Net Zero — The UK's contribution to stopping global warming,"; 2 May 2019. [Online]. Availablehttps://www.theccc.org.uldpublication/net-zero-the-uks-contribution-to-stopping-global-warming[Accessed 28 May 2019].
F+L DAILY, "Norway to create world's first zero-emissions control area,"; 7 May 2018. [Online]. Available: https://www.fuelsandlubes.com/norway-to-create-worlds-first-zero-emissions-control-area. [Accessed 28 May 2019].
Umweltbundesamt,"CO2 Emission Factors for Fossil Fuels,"2016.[Online]. Available:https://www.umweltbundesamt.de/sites/default/files/medien/1968/publikationen/co2_emission_factors_for_fossil_fuels correction.pdf. [Accessed 17 May 2019].