Artificial Neural Network ANN Approach to Predict Fracture Pressure
- Abdulmalek Ahmed S (King Fahd University of Petroleum & Minerals) | Salaheldin Elkatatny (King Fahd University of Petroleum & Minerals) | Abdulwahab Z Ali (King Fahd University of Petroleum & Minerals) | Abdulazeez Abdulraheem (King Fahd University of Petroleum & Minerals) | Mohamed Mahmoud (King Fahd University of Petroleum & Minerals)
- Document ID
- Society of Petroleum Engineers
- SPE Middle East Oil and Gas Show and Conference, 18-21 March, Manama, Bahrain
- Publication Date
- Document Type
- Conference Paper
- 2019. Society of Petroleum Engineers
- 7.6 Information Management and Systems, 7 Management and Information, 7.6.7 Neural Networks, 7.6.6 Artificial Intelligence, 5.3 Reservoir Fluid Dynamics, 1.10 Drilling Equipment, 1.6 Drilling Operations, 5 Reservoir Desciption & Dynamics, 5.3.4 Integration of geomechanics in models, 1.10 Drilling Equipment
- Artificial Neural Networks (ANN), Artificial Intelligence (AI), Fracture Pressure
- 22 in the last 30 days
- 135 since 2007
- Show more detail
- View rights & permissions
|SPE Member Price:||USD 9.50|
|SPE Non-Member Price:||USD 28.00|
Fracture pressure is a critical formation condition that affects efficiency and economy of drilling operations. The knowledge of the fracture pressure is significant to control the well. It will assist in avoiding problems associated with drilling operation and decreasing the cost of drilling operation. It is essential to predict fracture pressure accurately prior to drilling process to prevent various issues for example fluid loss, kicks, fracture the formation, differential pipe sticking, heaving shale and blowouts.
Many models are used to estimate the fracture pressure either from log information or formation strengths. However, these models have some limitations such as some of the models can only be used in clean shales, applicable only for the pressure generated by under-compaction mechanism and some of them are not applicable in unloading formations. Few papers used artificial intelligence (AI) to estimate the fracture pressure. In this work, a real filed data that contain only the real time surface drilling parameters were utilized by artificial neural network (ANN) to predict the fracture pressure.
The results indicated that artificial neural network (ANN) predicted the fracture pressures with an excellent precision where the coefficient of determination (R2) is greater than 0.99. In addition, the artificial neural network (ANN) was compared with other fracture pressure models such as Matthews and Kelly model, which is one of the most used models in the prediction of the fracture pressure in the field. Artificial neural network (ANN) model outperformed the fracture models by a high margin and by its simple prediction of fracture pressure where it can predict the fracture pressure from only the real time surface drilling parameters, which are easily available.
|File Size||1 MB||Number of Pages||9|
Abdulraheem, A., Ahmed, M., Vantala, A., +ACY- Parvez, T. Prediction of Rock Mechanical Parameters for Hydrocarbon Reservoirs Using Different Artificial Intelligence Techniques. Society of Petroleum Engineers. doi:10.2118/126094-MS, (2009, January 1).
Alloush, R. M., Elkatatny, S. M., Mahmoud, M. A., Moussa, T. M., Ali, A. Z., +ACY- Abdulraheem, A.. Estimation of Geomechanical Failure Parameters from Well Logs Using Artificial Intelligence Techniques. Society of Petroleum Engineers. doi:10.2118/187625-MS (2017, October 15).
Anderson, R. A., Ingram, D. S., +ACY- Zanier, A. M. Determining Fracture Pressure Gradients From Well Logs. Society of Petroleum Engineers. doi:10.2118/4135-PA. (1973, November 1).
Arabjamaloei +ACY- S. Shadizadeh. Modeling and Optimizing Rate of Penetration Using Intelligent Systems in an Iranian Southern Oil Field (Ahwaz Oil Field), PetroleumScience and Technology, 29:16, 1637–1648, DOI: 10.1080/10916460902882818, (2011).
Liew S. S., An optimized second order stochastic learning algorithm for neural network training, Neurocomputing. dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.neucom.2015.12.076i (2015).
Malallah, A., +ACY- Nashawi, I. S. Estimating the fracture gradient coefficient using neural networks for a field in the Middle East. Journal of Petroleum Science and Engineering, 49 (3-4), 193–211. doi:10.1016/j.petrol.2005.05.006. (2005).
Sadiq, T., +ACY- Nashawi, I. S.. Using Neural Networks for Prediction of Formation Fracture Gradient. Society of Petroleum Engineers. doi:10.2118/65463-MS. (2000).