Extended Reach Horizontal Well Development with Downhole Flow Control and Gravel Packing Sand Control: First Pilot in S-Field with Production Success
- Dahlila Kamat (PETRONAS Carigali Sdn Bhd) | Zairi Kadir (PETRONAS Carigali Sdn Bhd) | Prashanth Nair Kumaran (PETRONAS Carigali Sdn Bhd) | Ramli Ibrahim (PETRONAS Carigali Sdn Bhd) | Mior Yusni Ahmad (PETRONAS Carigali Sdn Bhd) | Bahrom Madon (PETRONAS Carigali Sdn Bhd) | Adam Hareezi A Aziz (PETRONAS Carigali Sdn Bhd) | Mohd Faizatulizuddin Ishak (PETRONAS Carigali Sdn Bhd) | Kim Fah Gordon Goh (Schlumberger) | Tomaso Umberto Ceccarelli (Schlumberger) | Chee Seong Tan (Schlumberger) | Sanggeetha Kalidas (Schlumberger) | Ahmad Syahrir Hatta Mohd Salim (Schlumberger) | Jorge Maldonado (Schlumberger) | Zhang Lei Min (Schlumberger) | Nur Faizah P Mosar (Schlumberger) | Joel Gil (Schlumberger) | Mohd Ramziemran Abdul Rahman (Schlumberger) | Kulapat Watana (Schlumberger) | Thierry Chabernaud (Schlumberger)
- Document ID
- Society of Petroleum Engineers
- SPE Asia Pacific Oil and Gas Conference and Exhibition, 23-25 October, Brisbane, Australia
- Publication Date
- Document Type
- Conference Paper
- 2018. Society of Petroleum Engineers
- Extended Reach Horizontal Well, ICD dynamic modeling, Zonal Control, Downhole Flow Control and Gravel Packing Sand Cont, ICD with OHGP
- 0 in the last 30 days
- 177 since 2007
- Show more detail
- View rights & permissions
|SPE Member Price:||USD 9.50|
|SPE Non-Member Price:||USD 28.00|
The first horizontal oil well was drilled through an anticline structure in the Block-7E of East Flank, S-field, penetrating three production sands Sand I, Sand II and Sand III. Based on a comprehensive pre-drill study through steady-state and 3D dynamic time lapse simulation, Inflow Control Device (ICD) with integral sleeve (on/off function) attached to the ICD's joint is the optimum development of the fault block that maximizes zonal control for contrasting water encroachments. Due to the unconsolidated nature of the target reservoir, this well is designed for Open-Hole Gravel Pack (OHGP) with specialty 3D filtration screen to manage sanding issue. This paper highlights 2-in-1 application of ICD with enabled zonal shut-off sleeves and the OHGP completions with external screen. A pre-drilled ICD dynamic modeling is constructed to evaluate the well performance with ICD configuration. The design criteria for an optimum ICD design configuration is based on number of compartments and size, packer placement, ICD nozzle sizes and numbers. This dynamic single well model was used to justify the technology value which resulted in production improvement (maximizing oil and minimizing/delaying water). However, during the drilling of this well, the pre-drilled model is then updated in real time with the input of actual petrophysical data from Logging While Drilling (LWD) measurements along the OH section. Actual well trajectory and structure adjustment encountered while drilling were also co-utilized to determine the final optimum ICD design for the field run-in-hole (RIH) completion. Target fault block in S-Field East Flank requires optimum development strategy for its economic viability (Kumaran, P. N et al. 2017). Only one open-sea discovery well proved the oil bearing sands to-date, but a lot of uncertainties remains: geological structure, fluid contacts, fluid characterization, existence and nature of an aquifer, etc. Hence, all these uncertainties are incorporated in the ICD optimization through sensitivity analysis and uncertainty range estimation. Oil production improvement with water reduction while delaying water encroachment are key in the optimization of the ICD design, which is achieved by evaluating the impact of ICD's influx balancing throughout the horizontal section. Study shows that water encroachment is effectively controlled with 9 compartmentalization zones along the horizontal section, each one separated using oil swellable packer. After 7 months of stable flow, well test is showing zero-water and zero-sanding to surface with well controlled production rate that can produce more if required. This is the testimonial of the deployment success from its initial conceptual design to its ultimate completion.
|File Size||2 MB||Number of Pages||19|
van der Bol Linda, Andrew McCarty James Pritchett, Yurawoot Sripornprasert, G. Goh, M. Ridho, R. Natapak, and N. M. Sowmyanarayanan. "ICD Design Optimisation with Single-Well Dynamic 3D Modelling and Real-Time Operation Support." In International Petroleum Technology Conference. International Petroleum Technology Conference, 2016.
Kumaran, Prashanth Nair, Law Chew Chen, M. Taufiq Yaakob, Ramli Ibrahim, Yopy Sosiawan, Juan Moreno Carlos, Jorge Maldonado Kumar, Sachin Sharma, Nor Nabilah Abdul Rahman, and Gulnara Iskenova. "Aligning Field Development Options to Stringent Economic Conditions in an Offshore Brownfield." In SPE Symposium: Production Enhancement and Cost Optimisation. Society of Petroleum Engineers, 2017.
Karim, Rahimah Abd, Kim Fah Gordon Goh, Mohd Azrul Nuriyadi, Nur Asyikin Ahmad, Edmund Leung, and Johan Abdullah Murison. "Horizontal well optimization with inflow control devices (ICDs) application in heterogeneous and dipping gas-capped oil reservoirs." In SPE Annual Technical Conference and Exhibition. Society of Petroleum Engineers, 2010.
Tran, Thanh Binh, Ying Shi Huang, Ji Hong Lian, Hua Zhang, Yu Guoda, Joko Yoseph Partono, Kim Fah Gordon Goh. "Attic Thin Oil Columns Horizontal Wells Optimization Through Advance Application of ICDs and Well Placement Technologies in South China." In IADC/SPE Drilling Conference and Exhibition. Society of Petroleum Engineers, 2010.