Development and Field Application of a Permanent Fiberoptic Wellbore Fluid Level Monitoring System
- C. Staveley (Smart Fibres Ltd) | C. Doyle (Smart Fibres Ltd) | C. Coetzee (Smart Fibres Ltd) | A. Franzen (Shell Global Solutions International BV) | H. Den Boer (Shell Global Solutions International BV) | A. van Rooyen (Shell Global Solutions International BV) | W. Birch (Shell Global Solutions International BV) | A. B. Biderkab (Petroleum Development Oman) | E. Moes (Petroleum Development Oman)
- Document ID
- Society of Petroleum Engineers
- Abu Dhabi International Petroleum Exhibition & Conference, 13-16 November , Abu Dhabi, UAE
- Publication Date
- Document Type
- Conference Paper
- 2017. Society of Petroleum Engineers
- 5 Reservoir Desciption & Dynamics, 5.8 Unconventional and Complex Reservoirs, 5.8.7 Carbonate Reservoir
- Fiber Optic Gauge, Fractured Carbonate Reservoirs, Reservoir Monitoring, Enhanced Oil Recovery, Distributed Pressure Sensing
- 2 in the last 30 days
- 179 since 2007
- Show more detail
- View rights & permissions
|SPE Member Price:||USD 5.00|
|SPE Non-Member Price:||USD 28.00|
To efficiently produce an oil rim and not the overlying gas cap or the aquifer below, it is important to be able to monitor the oil rim position. In highly fractured carbonate reservoirs the conventional method of monitoring oil rim movement is by periodically running wireline gradio surveys. However, some operators have found this method to be inconclusive and unable to provide information in a sufficiently timely manner to influence operations as the gradio surveys are only run a few times a year. We describe a project to design, field trial and qualify an alternative solution for real-time monitoring of the oil rim in carbonate reservoirs which overcomes these disadvantages.
|File Size||1 MB||Number of Pages||9|
Shell's Smart Fields, Digital Energy Journal April/May 2008 http://www.digitalenergyjournal.com/issues/dejapr08web.pdf (accessed 09 June 2017).
Smart Fibres Ltd. 2017. https://www.smartfibres.com/technology (accessed 09 June 2017).