Base-Line Logging Before Commencement of the EOR Project to Enhance the Chances for Success
- A. Al-Qenaie (Kuwait Oil Company) | H. B. Chetri (Kuwait Oil Company) | S. Tiwari (Kuwait Oil Company) | T. M. Al-Twaitan (Kuwait Oil Company) | M. B. Abdullah (Kuwait Oil Company) | P. Ranjan (Kuwait Oil Company) | I. Aslanyan (TGT Oil & Gas Services) | S. Prosvirkin (TGT Oil & Gas Services)
- Document ID
- Society of Petroleum Engineers
- Abu Dhabi International Petroleum Exhibition & Conference, 13-16 November , Abu Dhabi, UAE
- Publication Date
- Document Type
- Conference Paper
- 2017. Society of Petroleum Engineers
- 5.4 Improved and Enhanced Recovery, 5.4.1 Waterflooding, 5 Reservoir Desciption & Dynamics, 5.4 Improved and Enhanced Recovery, 2 Well completion, 7.3.3 Project Management, 5.3.6 Chemical Flooding Methods (e.g., Polymer, Solvent, Nitrogen, Immiscible CO2, Surfactant, Vapex), 7.3 Strategic Planning and Management, 1.6 Drilling Operations, 7 Management and Information, 5.1 Reservoir Characterisation, 1.6.6 Directional Drilling
- reservior, Enhance, Logging, performance
- 2 in the last 30 days
- 79 since 2007
- Show more detail
- View rights & permissions
|SPE Member Price:||USD 8.50|
|SPE Non-Member Price:||USD 25.00|
Successful EOR project management in mature fields depends on proactive planning that includes reservoir characterization and determination of the engineering design parameters. Base-Line logging performed in the pilot EOR pattern before implementation of an EOR project will make possible an early detection of any potential problems and weaknesses to avoid costly subsequent repairs or alterations. The objective of this paper is to demonstrate the results and value of Reservoir-Oriented Base-Line Logging carried out in Sabriyah Field, Kuwait, before ASP injection. The Base-Line logging is focused on the flows behind pipe and any anomalies that might have impact on the project.
Seven new vertical wells were drilled in a selected area within an existing waterflood pattern, to monitor the viability of pilot polymer injection in the field. An integrated suite consisting of reservoir evaluation tools, High Precision Temperature (HPT) and Spectral Noise Logging (SNL) tools, and metal losses evaluation tool (EmPulse), were run on slickline under shut-in conditions. Temperature is sensitive to any lateral flows and possible behind-casing cross-flows between permeable zones. Spectral noise logging can distinguish between noises caused by fluid flows through well completion elements and the reservoir. The idea was to record the wellbore and reservoir initial conditions before any mechanical or reservoir effects begin to influence the EOR performance. Analysis of subsequent Time-Lapse logging would be easier with this base-line information on hand.
The five wells were drilled in a 5-spot pattern in the selected area, with two additional logging well and a sampling well for continuous monitoring. The objective was to check for possible communication of the target reservoir with underlying and overlying formations to prevent off-target chemicals injection, and get a baseline for metal thickness of each barrier. At the same time, it was vitally important to trace the cold injection water propagation in the target reservoir before the EOR started.
|File Size||2 MB||Number of Pages||14|
Veedu, F., Nebrigic, D., Smallwood, A., Hickey, J., Wang, P., Pope, G., Delshad, M., Al-Maraghi, E., Singh, B., Al-Matar, B., Al-Saad, B., Al-Qahtani, M., Tiwari, S. 2015. EOR Pilot Design Through an Integrated Laboratory Evaluation and Reservoir Modeling Study for a Large Carbonate Field in Kuwait. Presented at the SPE Kuwait Oil & Gas Show and Conference, Kuwait, 11–14 October. SPE-175348-MS.
Ipatov, A., Nemirovitch, G., Nikolaev, M., Shigapov, I., Aslanyan, A., Aslanyan, I., Petrova, I. 2016. Multiphase inflow quantification for horizontal wells based on high-sensitivity spectral noise logging and temperature modelling. Presented at the SPE Russian Petroleum Technology Conference and Exhibition, Moscow, 24–26 October. SPE-188425-MS.
Aslanyan, A., Aslanyan, I., Arbuzov, A., Zagidullin, B., Prosvirkin, S., Al-Ajmi, M., Awad, M., Sharma, S., Das, M. 2014. Time-Domain Magnetic Defectoscopy for Tubing and Casing Corrosion Detection. Presented at the SPE International Oilfield Corrosion Conference and Exhibition, Aberdeen, 12–13 May. SPE-188425-MS..
Aslanyan, A., Wilson, M., Al-Shammakhy, A., Aristov, S., 2013. Evaluating Injection Performance With High-precision Temperature Logging And Numerical Temperature Modelling. Presented at the SPE Reservoir Characterisation and Simulation Conference and Exhibition, Abu Dhabi, 16–18 September. SPE-166007-MS.