Integrated and Longest Directional Casing While Drilling Mitigates Hole Problems and Improves Drilling Performance While Saving Drilling Time
- Venkataramanan Radhakrishnan (Bits & Drilling Tools Schlumberger) | Hevia Garcia Gonzalo (Teratanatorn, Navalarp Coastal Energy) | Diego Barrero Borge (Teratanatorn, Navalarp Coastal Energy) | Duncan Ian Pickup (Bits & Drilling Tools) | Fauzia Dwi Anggraini (D&M) | Chortip Kongoun (D&M)
- Document ID
- Society of Petroleum Engineers
- SPE/IADC Drilling Conference and Exhibition, 14-16 March, The Hague, The Netherlands
- Publication Date
- Document Type
- Conference Paper
- 2017. SPE/IADC Drilling Conference and Exhibition
- 1.6 Drilling Operations, 7.2 Risk Management and Decision-Making, 1.10.2 Directional Drilling Systems and Equipment, 3 Production and Well Operations, 7 Management and Information, 7.2.1 Risk, Uncertainty and Risk Assessment, 1.6.6 Directional Drilling, 6.3 Safety, 1.10 Drilling Equipment, 3 Production and Well Operations
- Directional Casing While Drilling, While Saving Drilling Time, and Improves Drilling Performance, Mitigates Hole Problems, Integrated and Longest
- 3 in the last 30 days
- 243 since 2007
- Show more detail
- View rights & permissions
|SPE Member Price:||USD 9.50|
|SPE Non-Member Price:||USD 28.00|
Directional Casing While Drilling (DCwD) with Steerable Motor or a Rotary Steerable System is an emerging technology with proven results in Casing While Drilling applications. DCWD has been successfully applied in wells in Asia, North Sea and Middle East using rotary steerable systems & PDMs, proving up its operational reliability. The technology has been implemented in Asia Pacific region as well overcoming several challenges. The project was successfully implemented in 2 back to back wells in Gulf of Thailand & being the first of its kind.
Since the DCWD is first of its kind in Gulf of Thailand and to the operator, a proper planning and detailing the procedures along with risk assessment is the key to the success of the project. The procedure, in addition to directional capabilities requires that the well meet the demands of anti-collision concerns within the torque and hydraulic operating parameters of the formation. The quest ot overcome the problems faced by the customer led the operator to choose the DCWD technology to deliver step changes in drilling performance while meeting company's strict operational and safety directives.
The Integration of the directional drilling segment along with DCWD team along with the operator and the drilling contractor resulted in achieving the following ➢
Longest 9 5/8 DCwD run world wide➢
Highest angle achieved with DCwD run in the field➢
Saved 2 days of drilling time compared conventional drilling➢
Increase in on bottom ROP compared to offset wells.
|File Size||1 MB||Number of Pages||12|
Beaumont, E., de Crevoisier, L., Baquero, F., Perenco; Sanguino, J., Herrera, D., Cordero, E.: "First Retrievable Directional Casing-While- Drilling (DCWD) Application in Peruvian Fields Generates Time Reduction and Improves Drilling Performance Preventing Potential Nonplanned Downtime" paper SPE 139339 presented at the SPE Latin American and Caribbean Petroleum Engineering Conference, 13 December 2010, Lima, Peru.
Chima, J., Zhou, S., Al-Hajji, A., Okot, M., Sharif, Q.J., and Clark, D., Saudi Aramco; Oveson, D., Moellendick, E., Holt, C., and Neidhardt, D.: "Casing Drilling Technology Application: Case Histories from Saudi Arabia" paper SPE 160857 presented at SPE Saudi Arabia Section Technical Symposium and Exhibition, 8-11 April 2 01 2, Al-Khobar, Saudi Arabia.
Karimi M., Petrie S., Moellendick E., Holt C.: "A Review of Casing Drilling Advantages to Reduce Lost Circulation, Augment Wellbore Strengthening, Improve Wellbore Stability, and Mitigate Drilling-induced Formation Damage" paper SPE 148654 presented at SPE/IADC Middle East Drilling Technology Conference and Exhibition, 24-2 6 October 2011, Muscat, Oman.
Lopez, E., Bonilla, P., Occidental de Columbia; Castilla, A., Halliburton; Rincon, J., Tesco Corporation: "Casing Drilling Application with Rotary Steerable and Triple Combo in New Deviated Wells in Cira Infantas Field" paper SPE 134586, presented at SPE Annual Technical Conference and Exhibition, 19-22 September 2010, Florence, Italy.