The First Successful Chemical EOR Pilot in the UAE: One Spot Pilot in High Temperature, High Salinity Carbonate Reservoir
- Omar Al-Amrie (ADNOC) | Sophie Peltier (ADNOC) | Adrian Pearce (ADNOC) | Total Abu-Dhabi (ADNOC) | Arafat Al-Yafei (ADNOC) | Danielle Morel (Total SA) | Maurice Bourrel (Total SA) | Romain Bursaux (Total SA) | Philippe Cordelier (Total SA) | Stephane Jouenne (Total SA) | Hugo Juilla (Total SA) | Alexandra Klimenko (Total SA) | David Levitt (Total SA) | Michel Nguyen (Total SA)
- Document ID
- Society of Petroleum Engineers
- Abu Dhabi International Petroleum Exhibition and Conference, 9-12 November, Abu Dhabi, UAE
- Publication Date
- Document Type
- Conference Paper
- 2015. Society of Petroleum Engineers
- 3.3 Well & Reservoir Surveillance and Monitoring, 4.5 Offshore Facilities and Subsea Systems, 4.5 Offshore Facilities and Subsea Systems, 5.6.5 Tracers, 2.5.2 Fracturing Materials (Fluids, Proppant), 5 Reservoir Desciption & Dynamics, 5.8 Unconventional and Complex Reservoirs, 5.4.1 Waterflooding, 2.5 Hydraulic Fracturing, 5.3.6 Chemical Flooding Methods (e.g., Polymer, Solvent, Nitrogen, Immiscible CO2, Surfactant, Vapex), 5.4 Enhanced Recovery, 2 Well completion, 5.6 Formation Evaluation & Management, 5.8.7 Carbonate Reservoir
- EOR, Carbonate reservoir, Chemical EOR, Single Well Tracer Test SWTT, Surfactant Polymer injection
- 2 in the last 30 days
- 397 since 2007
- Show more detail
- View rights & permissions
|SPE Member Price:||USD 9.50|
|SPE Non-Member Price:||USD 28.00|
In 2014, Total performed a surfactant-polymer single-well pilot to test the effectiveness of a surfactant formulation developed in-house, and including a new proprietary class of surfactants with improved temperature- and salinity-tolerance characteristics. This paper unveils the results of this pilot which targeted a high temperature, high salinity carbonate reservoir. The operations were performed on an oil bearing reservoir of Lower Cretaceous age, in an offshore field operated by Total since 1974 and located 180 km offshore Abu Dhabi. Dedicated topsides were designed and installed for this EOR project. Extensive in-house laboratory studies were performed to select and synthesize the chemicals. Specific simulations, using laboratory results as input, were carried out to predict the pilot performance, design the Single Well Tracer Tests (SWTTs), and size the equipment.
In this paper we will discuss the workflow used to select the most appropriate well and present the methods and results used to characterize the reservoir. Then we will relate it to the surfactant-polymer injection field operations. Finally the reservoir monitoring activities that were necessary to preserve reservoir integrity and demonstrate the pilot efficiency will be described.
The strong decrease in remaining oil saturation measured after the chemical EOR pilot clearly proves the effectiveness of the chemicals synthesized by Total to mobilize the remaining immobile oil after water-flood.
These positive outcomes change the perception of CEOR in hot, saline Middle-East carbonate reservoirs, and could be a "game changer".
|File Size||5 MB||Number of Pages||20|