Innovative Logging Tool Using Noise Log and High Precision Temperature Help to Diagnoses Complex Problems
- Salim Ghalem (Abu Dhabi Marine Operating Co.) | Amr Mohamed Serry (Abu Dhabi Marine Operating Co.) | Ali Al-felasi (Abu Dhabi Marine Operating Co.) | Ahmed Berrim (Abu Dhabi Marine Operating Co.) | Osama Mohamed Keshtta (Abu Dhabi Marine Operating Co.) | Maxim Filenev (Kazan State University) | Elyes Draoui (Abu Dhabi Marine Operating Co.) | Ayman Mohamed (ADMA-OPCO) | Hicham Abu Chaker (ADMA-OPCO) | Alfiya Gabdrakhmanova (TGT Oil and Gas Services) | Arthur Aslanyan (TGT Oil and Gas Services)
- Document ID
- Society of Petroleum Engineers
- Abu Dhabi International Petroleum Conference and Exhibition, 11-14 November , Abu Dhabi, UAE
- Publication Date
- Document Type
- Conference Paper
- 2012. Society of Petroleum Engineers
- 2.2.2 Perforating, 5.6.5 Tracers, 5.4.2 Gas Injection Methods, 1.6 Drilling Operations, 5.2.1 Phase Behavior and PVT Measurements, 3.3.1 Production Logging, 4.3.4 Scale, 3 Production and Well Operations
- 3 in the last 30 days
- 473 since 2007
- Show more detail
- View rights & permissions
|SPE Member Price:||USD 8.50|
|SPE Non-Member Price:||USD 25.00|
Abu Dhabi's mature field with more than 50 years of production history and over 350 wells that is presented in this paper is one of the world's largest offshore oil fields. As oil fields mature, water and gas breakthroughs become increasingly frequent and the understanding of fluid movement becomes crucial for proper reservoir management, efficient remedial works and optimum workovers and future wells drilling, which all expected to enhance oil recovery.
This paper introduces an innovative logging technique designed to track fluid movement deep in the formation in flow and no-flow intervals and through casing.
The innovative logging technology presented in this paper is to track fluid movement within the formation through casing or tubing. This technology, created by combining Spectral Noise Logging (SNL) with High Precision Temperature (HPT) Logging, has shown its value due to several advantages over conventional tools:
- Deep radius of investigation allows monitoring fluid movement as deep as 3-4 m in the reservoir;
- Scanning through multiple barriers allows monitoring fluid flow behind casing during both production and injection and monitoring flow in the short string, which is impossible with conventional production logging tools.
- Evaluation of conductive fractures and rock-matrix flow based on noise frequency and channel aperture data;
- Reliable multiphase production profile analysis even at rates lower than 30 bpd;
- The tool operates in memory mode and can run on slickline, which is critical for off-shore operations, and on conventional coil tubing without an inside wire.
The HPT-SNL suite has several distinct features. Temperature is measured during down passes at low speed. Noise data are acquired at multiple stations enabling data stacking and extraction of correlated noise from the prevailing uncorrelated noise. The key element of the high-precision temperature logging tool is a high-sensitivity fast-response temperature sensor with a response time of less 1 s that can pick up the smallest perturbations of wellbore-fluid temperature through multiple barriers with a resolution of 0.003°C.
|File Size||2 MB||Number of Pages||7|