A New Record of Coiled Tubing Reach in Open Hole Horizontal Wells Using Tractor and Friction Reducer in Saudi Arabia History: A Case Study
- Waleed K. Bawaked (Saudi Aramco) | Faisal I. Beheiri (Saudi Aramco) | Mohammed M. Saudi (Saudi Aramco)
- Document ID
- Society of Petroleum Engineers
- SPE Saudi Arabia section Young Professionals Technical Symposium, 29-30 March, Dharan, Saudi Arabia
- Publication Date
- Document Type
- Conference Paper
- 2008. Society of Petroleum Engineers
- 1.6.1 Drilling Operation Management, 3 Production and Well Operations, 1.10.1 Drill string components and drilling tools (tubulars, jars, subs, stabilisers, reamers, etc), 6.5.2 Water use, produced water discharge and disposal, 5.7.2 Recovery Factors, 6.1.5 Human Resources, Competence and Training, 1.10 Drilling Equipment, 4.1.2 Separation and Treating, 1.6 Drilling Operations
- 1 in the last 30 days
- 525 since 2007
- Show more detail
- View rights & permissions
|SPE Member Price:||USD 9.50|
|SPE Non-Member Price:||USD 28.00|
Energy sustainability is heavily dependent on sustainability of hydrocarbon production that in turn depends on maximizing the recovery and sweep efficiency. The natural energy supporting hydrocarbon production is facilitated by the dominant reservoir drive mechanism. Maintaining this energy drive at optimum level, calls for a continuous injectivity improvement and uniform distribution of injection. This could be achieved by drilling and stimulating extended reach horizontal injectors. Utilizing Drill Pipe (DP) for stimulating the extended reach interval proved to be ineffective and costly. Stimulation using Coiled Tubing (CT) is effective and less in cost; however, reaching the target depth is a challenge.
A new best practice, utilizing a combination of CT tractor and friction reducer agents, enabled the CT to reach the target depth and the stimulation fluid to cover the whole horizontal injection interval. This achievement was a result of proper production engineering planning and several meetings and technical discussions with the service provider.
Preparing the young professionals for the future is an important part of energy sustainability. Young professionals were involved in these activities to develop their skills and capability and get them ready for the future.
A new record of 9,448 ft were achieved which is the longest in Saudi Aramco history.
The application of this combination of techniques could be used in the future to avoid the expensive alternative of stimulation using DP while the rig is on location and to provide better post injectivity performance since it is proved so.
Khurais is a giant reservoir in Saudi Arabia that is being developed by drilling extended reach horizontal Power Water Injectors (PWI) for effective water distribution and pressure support in the reservoir. These wells are planned for acid stimulation in order to clean up debris left after drilling and to enhance injection. The length of horizontal open hole (OH) section varies between 5,000 ft to 9,000 ft. Stimulation by rig using DP showed an injection rate less than expected. With this long OH section reaching the total depth (TD) with CT would be difficult.
|File Size||124 KB||Number of Pages||7|