e-Drilling: A System for Real-Time Drilling Simulation, 3D Visualization and Control
- Rolv Rommetveit (SINTEF Petroleum Research) | Knut Steinar Bjorkevoll (SINTEF Petroleum Research) | George wesley Halsey | Erling Fjar | Sven Inge Odegaard (Hitec Products Drilling) | Mike C. Herbert (ConocoPhillips Norge) | Ove Sandve (First Interactive AS) | Bjarne Larsen (Aker Kvaerner MH, Inc.)
- Document ID
- Society of Petroleum Engineers
- Digital Energy Conference and Exhibition, 11-12 April, Houston, Texas, U.S.A.
- Publication Date
- Document Type
- Conference Paper
- 2007. Society of Petroleum Engineers
- 3 Production and Well Operations, 1.10.1 Drill string components and drilling tools (tubulars, jars, subs, stabilisers, reamers, etc), 1.7.1 Underbalanced Drilling, 1.4.1 BHA Design, 1.7.6 Wellbore Pressure Management, 1.6.6 Directional Drilling, 1.6.1 Drilling Operation Management, 1.2.5 Drilling vibration management, 1.7.5 Well Control, 1.7 Pressure Management, 1.6 Drilling Operations, 5.3.2 Multiphase Flow, 1.12.6 Drilling Data Management and Standards, 5.5 Reservoir Simulation, 1.4.3 Torque and drag analysis
- 3 in the last 30 days
- 722 since 2007
- Show more detail
- View rights & permissions
|SPE Member Price:||USD 8.50|
|SPE Non-Member Price:||USD 25.00|
eDrilling is a new and innovative system for real time drilling simulation, 3D visualization and control from a remote drilling expert centre. The concept uses all available real time drilling data (surface and downhole) in combination with real time modelling to monitor and optimize the drilling process. This information is used to visualize the wellbore in 3D in real time. The system is composed of the following elements, some of which are unique and ground-breaking:
- An advanced and fast Integrated Drilling Simulator which is capable to model the different drilling sub-processes dynamically, and also the interaction between these sub-processes in real time. The Integrated Drilling Simulator is used for automatic forward-looking during drilling, and can be used for what-if evaluations as well.
- Automatic quality check and corrections of drilling data; making them suitable for processing by computer models.
- Real time supervision methodology for the drilling process using time based drilling data as well as drilling models / the integrated drilling simulator.
- Methodology for diagnosis of the drilling state and conditions. This is obtained from comparing model predictions with measured data.
- Advisory technology for more optimal drilling.
- A Virtual Wellbore, with advanced visualization of the downhole process. A new generation visualization system designed to integrate all participants involved, will enable enhanced collaboration of all drilling and well activities in a global environment.
- Data flow and computer infrastructure.
The combination of the various elements will make e-Drilling very attractive to the new people coming into the industry; the "game boy generation??.
e-Drilling has been implemented in an Onshore Drilling Center in Norway. This paper will present the e-Drilling system as well as experiences from its use.
A new generation real time simulation and visualization system designed to integrate all participants involved, will enable enhanced collaboration of all drilling and well activities in a global environment; see Ref. 1.
The system is designed on an open 3-D visualization motor that can visualize all drilling and well related operations involved.
The system is based on an open system architecture where equipment suppliers, service companies, contractors, and operators can connect to via standard interfaces (i.e. WITSML etc.). The system is designed to handle the expected high data rates as a result of the use of wired pipe and similar technologies.
Results related to drilling. Costly failures will be reduced and better knowledge of the process will be obtained:
- The driller/directional driller will see if the bit follows the planned well path.
- Geologists/drilling engineers will be able to see the bit going through different geology layers in real time.
- Petro-physicists can see the bit entering seismic information layers real time (not finished, in progress).
- Accurate depth by visualizing the tally/BHA in real time.
- Enabling to see the bit or tool joint going through restricted areas like the BOP or Casing shoe.
- Link real time software models with real time data to analyze and optimize drilling performance. E.g. visualize well pressure profile and prediction of pressure when drilling ahead.
- Backtracking of operations in 3D (similar to REW & FWD on a tape recorder).
|File Size||564 KB||Number of Pages||6|