A Comprehensive Approach to Well Integrity Management
- Saleh A. Samad (Abu Dhabi Marine Operating Co.) | Ihaab Othman Tarmoom (Abu Dhabi Marine Operating Co.) | Hussein A. Binthabet (Abu Dhabi Marine Operating Co.) | Khalid Chishti | Ashiq Hussain (Abu Dhabi Marine Operating Co.) | Mohamed Al Sayed Arafat (Abu Dhabi Marine Operating Co.)
- Document ID
- Society of Petroleum Engineers
- SPE Middle East Oil and Gas Show and Conference, 11-14 March, Manama, Bahrain
- Publication Date
- Document Type
- Conference Paper
- 2007. Society of Petroleum Engineers
- 1.6 Drilling Operations, 3.2.2 Downhole intervention and remediation (including wireline and coiled tubing), 3 Production and Well Operations, 5.2 Reservoir Fluid Dynamics, 1.14 Casing and Cementing, 5.6.4 Drillstem/Well Testing, 4.2.3 Materials and Corrosion, 1.14.4 Cement and Bond Evaluation, 4.3.4 Scale
- 0 in the last 30 days
- 831 since 2007
- Show more detail
- View rights & permissions
|SPE Member Price:||USD 5.00|
|SPE Non-Member Price:||USD 28.00|
ADMA operates, more than 600 wells, in two offshore fields, which include oil producers, water injectors, gas producers/injectors and observation wells. A dedicated team was setup to focus entirely on WI and related issues. The team was given the objective to achieve the following.
- Determine the Well Integrity Status of the entire well stock through risk review and ranking.
- Recommend appropriate action plan for each well with unacceptable level of risk.
The team used a comprehensive and novel approach for handling this project. This paper is a case study of the methodology adopted by the team to achieve this task.
Since the main objective was to risk review and rank the entire well stock, a dedicated risk-ranking process was designed, which served as an automatic guide to risk review and ranking of wells. The industry Risk Ranking matrix was modified to make it more objective and easy to use.
It soon became obvious that risk evaluation of wells was only possible based on availability of good data organized in a user-friendly format. A dedicated database was setup in parallel with other activities. The web-based database was designed to contain all the data required for WI review of any well and is capable of tracking well integrity related tasks automatically.
Well Integrity data included well construction, annuli pressures, production, well intervention, etc. The data existed in the office files were promptly transferred into the database.
The team made a strong effort towards building the capabilities to acquire missing WI data such as Annulus Leak Rates, Integrity Test Results, Wellhead and Xmas Tree status. Annulus leak rate measurement skid was designed and built, in-house. One-off contracts were established to hot tap blind-flanged annuli and to perform Xmas tree and wellhead inventory survey and cavity checking/testing.
A completely new system of WI certification has also been established. So far, the team has successfully reviewed and risk ranked majority of the wells in the two assets of ADMA-OPCO.
Well integrity is a growing concern in the oil industry. Years of cheap oil had placed this aspect of the oilfields on a back burner. Oilfields, specially the bigger ones are maturing and presenting new challenges by way of risk management.
|File Size||1 MB||Number of Pages||19|