Study on high-precision time-depth projection method under complex terrain conditions
- Li’en Bian (China National Offshore Oil Corporation (CNOOC) Ltd. Tianjin Branch) | Jingsi Zhang (China National Offshore Oil Corporation (CNOOC) Ltd. Tianjin Branch) | Jialiang Xu (China National Offshore Oil Corporation (CNOOC) Ltd. Tianjin Branch) | Wei Yang (China National Offshore Oil Corporation (CNOOC) Ltd. Tianjin Branch) | Qian Yu (China National Offshore Oil Corporation (CNOOC) Ltd. Tianjin Branch)
- Document ID
- Society of Exploration Geophysicists
- 2018 SEG International Exposition and Annual Meeting, 14-19 October, Anaheim, California, USA
- Publication Date
- Document Type
- Conference Paper
- 2018. Society of Exploration Geophysicists
- Horizontal wells, Steep dip, Depth conversion, Interpretation, Mapping
- 1 in the last 30 days
- 7 since 2007
- Show more detail
A good time-depth projection method plays an important role in improving the accuracy of depth prediction. When designing a new well, we need a time-depth relationship to predict the depth of the target layer and then design the well trajectory. The traditional approach is to directly use the time-depth relationship of adjacent well. However, as the target reservoir becomes more and more complex, the lateral change of the formation velocity is more and more large. In this case, the traditional approach is difficult to meet the research needs. This study proposed a new high precision time-depth projection method, which firstly establishes a high precision space-varying velocity model under the constraint of geological structure, then extracts the average velocity at each point of the well trajectory, and finally creates a high precision time-depth relationship based on MD (Measured Depth) of well trajectory which is different from the traditional time-depth relationship based on TVD (True Vertical Depth). The application result of real seismic data demonstrates the effectiveness of our method.
Presentation Date: Monday, October 15, 2018
Start Time: 1:50:00 PM
Location: 210A (Anaheim Convention Center)
Presentation Type: Oral
|File Size||705 KB||Number of Pages||5|
Bishop,T. N.,K. P.Bube, andR. T.Cutler,1985,Tomographic determination of velocity and depth in laterally varying media:Geophysics,50,903–923,10.1190/1.1441970.
Gerritsma,P. H. A.,1977,Time-depth conversion in the presence of structure:Geophysics,42,760–772,10.1190/1.1440744.
Hornby,B. E.,J. H.Yu,A.John,R.Amal,Q.Yan, andR.Carl,2006,VSP: Beyond time-to-depth:The Leading Edge,25,446–452,10.1190/1.2193224.
Keydar,S.,Z.Koren, andD.Kosloff,1989,Optimum time-to-depth conversion:Geophysics,54,1001–1005,10.1190/1.1442724.