The multiscale Fourier transform
- Daniel Locci-Lopez (School of Geosciences, University of Louisiana at Lafayette) | Rui Zhang (School of Geosciences, University of Louisiana at Lafayette) | Arnold Oyem (Department of Earth and Atmospheric Sciences, University of Houston) | John Castagna (Department of Earth and Atmospheric Sciences, University of Houston)
- Document ID
- Society of Exploration Geophysicists
- 2018 SEG International Exposition and Annual Meeting, 14-19 October, Anaheim, California, USA
- Publication Date
- Document Type
- Conference Paper
- 2018. Society of Exploration Geophysicists
- Seismic stratigraphy, Fourier, Algorithm, Spectral analysis, Resolution
- 0 in the last 30 days
- 11 since 2007
- Show more detail
Multi-resolution spectral decomposition methods such as the S-transform and the Continuous Waelet Transform, are known to distort spectral attributes such as peak frequency. We introduce a spectral decomposition approach via a multi-scale Fourier Transform that utilizes a frequency-dependent temporal window to achieve any desired combination of temporal and frequency resolution. We investigate a specific frequency-dependent window that focusses the analysis on the full-width at half-maximum of a frequency-dependent Gaussian function. The resulting time-frequency analysis has significantly improved time-resolution relative to the S-transform. This is demonstrated on real seismic data in the Permian Basin.
Presentation Date: Monday, October 15, 2018
Start Time: 1:50:00 PM
Location: Poster Station 19
Presentation Type: Poster
|File Size||760 KB||Number of Pages||5|
Morlet,J.,G.Arens,E.Fourgeau, andD.Giard,1982,Wave propagation and sampling theory—Part II: Sampling theory and complex waves:Geophysics,47,222–236,10.1190/1.1441329.
Partyka,G. A.,J. A.Gridley, andJ. A.Lopez,1999,Interpretational applications of spectral decomposition in reservoir characterization:The Leading Edge,18,353–360,10.1190/1.1438295.
Sinha,S.,P. S.Routh,P. D.Anno, andJ. P.Castagna,2005,Spectral decomposition of seismic data with continuous-wavelet transform:Geophysics,70,no.6,19–25,10.1190/1.2127113.
Stockwell,R. G.,L.Mansinha, andR. P.Lowe,1996,Localization of the complex spectrum-the S-transform:IEEE Transactions on Signal Processing,44,998–1001,10.1109/78.492555.
Wu,L., andJ. P.Castagna,2017,S-transform and Fourier transform frequency spectra of broadband seismic signals:Geophysics,82,no.5,O71–O81,10.1190/geo2016-0679.1.