Digital Twin for Well Integrity with Real Time Surveillance
- Jorel Lopes Anjos (Petróleo Brasileiro S.A.) | Pedro Esteves Aranha (Petróleo Brasileiro S.A.) | André Leibsohn Martins (Petróleo Brasileiro S.A.) | Felipe Lima Oliveira (Petróleo Brasileiro S.A.) | Clemente José Gonçalves (Petróleo Brasileiro S.A.) | Douglas Ribeiro Silva (Petróleo Brasileiro S.A.) | Cesar Luis Dudek (Petróleo Brasileiro S.A.) | Claudio Benevenuto Lima (Petróleo Brasileiro S.A.)
- Document ID
- Offshore Technology Conference
- Offshore Technology Conference, 4-7 May, Houston, Texas, USA
- Publication Date
- Document Type
- Conference Paper
- 2020. Offshore Technology Conference
- 0.2 Wellbore Design, 2.1.3 Completion Equipment, 4.5 Offshore Facilities and Subsea Systems, 1.14.1 Casing Design, 2.10 Well Integrity, 6.3.3 Operational Safety, 2 Well completion, 5.1.5 Geologic Modeling, 1.14 Casing and Cementing, 2.10.2 Well Integrity Logging and Monitoring, 4.5 Offshore Facilities and Subsea Systems
- Digital Twin, Real time, Well structure, Integrity management
- 36 in the last 30 days
- 479 since 2007
- Show more detail
- View rights & permissions
During the production phase of the PW1 well, an unintentional operation depressurized the annulus A below its design limit, causing a progressive casing collapse from the surface casing to the tubing string, resulting in a well failure and a subsequent an abandonment operation. This event was detailed in a previous publication (Campos et al., 2019). After a detailed investigation of the events that drove the well failure and using casing design software to simulate the well behavior with the historical time series data, it was possible to identify the exact moment of the casings collapse through mathematical modelling.
Based on that, considering innovation as critical success factor (Rocha, 2012), PETROBRAS started an R&D project to evaluate, in real time, critical integrity events during production phase. The approach proposed consists on the integration of a transient fluid flow model (Bonizzi, 2003) and (Bonizzi, Andreussi and Banerjee, 2009) with a structural model (Araújo et al., 2019) of the well and loads being calculated in real time as a function of the production data (PDG’s, X-TREE and Topside). The process described was named as Well Integrity Surveillance (WIS) and its being designed to work 24/7 in a collaborative environment, integrating well handover information, inspections and intervention reports, production data and flow modeling.
The objective of this paper is to present the well integrity case study of a deep-water field in the Brazilian coast, through a real time digital twin approach, highlighting the main technological solutions, developed to ensure the assets operational envelope, during its lifetime.
With the well integrity surveillance digital twin, PETROBRAS successfully implemented a pilot project on three offshore production units in Brazil, increasing the knowledge of the well structural behavior and consequentially the assets operational safety during its lifetime.
|File Size||1 MB||Number of Pages||13|
Campos, G., Piedade, T. S., Ramos, A. C., Anjos, J. L., Azevedo, A. C., Abdu, J. P. S., … Silva, L. P. (2019, April 26). Special P&amp;A with Resin and Microcement Pumped from Interception Well Due to Multi-String Collapse. Offshore Technology Conference. doi: 10.4043/29281-MS
ESSS ALFAsim. Novel 1D Dynamic Multiphase Modeling Approach for the Oil & Gas Industry. Available on < https://alfasim.esss.co/ >
INTELIE. Intelie Live. Available on <https://www.intelie.com/>
Nogueira Araújo, J. P., Pereira Gouveia, L., Toledo Lima Junior, E., Barbosa Silva, T., Lopes Rodrigues Anjos, J., Lima Oliveira, F., … Lima Santos, J. P. (2019, October 28). On the Ultimate Limit State Strength Models and Its Application for Casing Design. Offshore Technology Conference. doi: 10.4043/29866-MS
OSISOFT. PI System. Available on < https://www.osisoft.com/pi-system/ >
Rocha, M.M., Lima, G.B.A., Lameira de Jesus, V.J. & Quelhas, O.L.G. Innovation as a critical success factor: An exploratory study about the partnership among university with pharmaceutical industry in Brazil. Journal of Technology Management and Innovation, 7(3):148-160, 2012. Doi: https://doi.org/10.4067/S0718-27242012000300013
Rodriguez, F. J., Mat Isa, S., & Forness, A. (2017, May 1). Field Test Results for a Subsea Wireless Annulus Monitoring System. Offshore Technology Conference. doi: 10.4043/27886-MS