Investigation of Naphthenates Crude Oil Types and Behaviour to Induce Soaps-Microemulsion and Soap-Fines Foam in Malaysian EOR Fields
- N. Borhan (Petronas Research Sdn. Bhd.) | I. Salleh (Petronas Research Sdn. Bhd.) | J. M. B. M. Ibrahim (Petronas Carigali Sdn Bhd.) | A. R. Farrell (Scaled Solutions Ltd) | D. A. Nichols (Scaled Solutions Ltd) | G. M. Graham (Scaled Solutions Ltd)
- Document ID
- International Petroleum Technology Conference
- International Petroleum Technology Conference, 14-16 November, Bangkok, Thailand
- Publication Date
- Document Type
- Conference Paper
- 2016. International Petroleum Technology Conference
- 5.4 Improved and Enhanced Recovery, 4.3.4 Scale, 2 Well completion, 5.4 Improved and Enhanced Recovery, 2.6 Acidizing
- Flow Assurance, Alkaline Surfactant Polymer, Soaps, Enhance Oil Recovery, Naphthenate
- 0 in the last 30 days
- 97 since 2007
- Show more detail
- View rights & permissions
|SPE Member Price:||USD 7.00|
|SPE Non-Member Price:||USD 23.00|
The studies involves several unique case for EOR fields in which crude oil samples were collected from from peninsular Malaysia and Borneo. These fields has different reservoir characteristic in pressure, temperature and gas composition. Five Crude Oil from EOR field were undergone Naphthenate acid extraction using acid IER techniques for further instrument analysis to classification of Naphthenate acid type's component. Comparison of soaps-microemulsion generated was then analyse using static bottle test and Naphthenates/Emulsions Flow Rig Tests. The findings shows the Malaysian crude oil is able to be classified by type of naphthenate acid which are mono-protic acid generating sodium carboxylate soap and tetraprotic acid known as ARN which leads to calcium naphthenate deposit. There are fields that located nearby each other has different characterization of crude and types of acids which leads to different type and severities of soaps-microemulsion and soaps-fines foams formation from apllied EOR chemical. Statics bottle test at higher water cuts shows significant differences with observation from Naphthenates/Emulsions Flow Rig Tests. From this paper classification of Naphthenate acid for Malaysian crude oil has been established with its behavior to induce Soaps-Microemulsion and Soap-Fines Foam in Malaysian EOR Fields using more representive method by Naphthenates/Emulsions Flow Rig Tests.
|File Size||6 MB||Number of Pages||15|
Nichols D.A., Rosário F.F., Bezerra M.C.M., Gorringe S.E., Williams H.L. and Graham G.M. ‘Calcium Naphthenates in Complex Production Systems – Evaluation and Chemical Inhibition Challenges’. Paper SPE 169756 presented at the SPE International Oilfield Scale Conference and Exhibition, Aberdeen, UK, 14-15 May 2014.
Williams H., Dyer S., Graham G. ‘Understanding The Factors Influencing The Formation And Control Of Calcium Naphthenate Solids And Stabilised Emulsions Using A Novel Laboratory Flow Rig’. Paper SPE 106499 presented at SPE International Symposium on Oilfield Chemistry, Houston, Texas, USA. 28 February-2 March 2007.